New Computer? Six Steps to Safer Surfing

Suresh Ramasubramanian ops.lists at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 02:49:28 UTC 2004

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:14:30 -0500 (EST), Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com> wrote:

> I wouldn't rely on software firewalls.  At the same store you buy your
> computer, also buy a hardware firewall.  Hopefully soon the motherboard
> and NIC manufacturers will start including built-in hardware firewalls.
> But sometimes, such as dialup modems, software firewalls are the only
> alternative.

Just asking .. any idea how many cable / dsl operators around the
world - not just in the USA - provide hardware firewalls along with
their CPE equipment - or perhaps provide CPE equipment that's capable
of firewalling?

Quite a few ISPs that I know of tend to hand out dsl routers with, at
the most, basic NAT / PAT capablities, and maybe a CD with a 30 day
trial versions of an antivirus program, along with other stuff.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian (ops.lists at gmail.com)