latest FCC rulings

James Edwards hackerwacker at cybermesa.com
Sat Dec 18 10:50:16 UTC 2004

Wire centers serving more than 38,000 business lines or at least 4 fiber
based CLEC's (this means their own fiber, I think) do not have to offer
DS1 CO to CO loops to a CLEC. For DS3/Dark Fiber it is 24,000 business
lines or 3 fiber based CLEC's. This is interoffice transport, the CLEC's
transport between its colos, which they lease from the LEC per their
interconnect contract. It can be quite inexpensive. Why bother coloing
if you can't get good transport between the colos ?

Much the same for customer loops from your colo.

Unbundling, IIRC, is what the xLEC's got from the Telcom act. The loops
and fiber. These unbundeled elements can only be accessed by colocation
with the LEC, for most cases.  For wire centers that meet the limits,
key here is it has to be both sides meetings the limits for interoffice
transport (CO to CO), a colocated CLEC cannot get ds1, ds3, and dark
fiber to build their network.

We are in several Qwest CO's in New Mexico, this is one of the few times
it has been good to live in NM, in the context of telecommunications.
Fiber based xLEC's, not many, and we only have one city that can be
considered big.

The questions we had are work were about the business lines. Does it
include CLEC lines ? If is does not, business lines are where the LEC's
have seen a big decrease and any counts are suspect as they may be old.
So is the xLEC supposed to buy interoffice transport from the fiber
based folks in the colo ? Can they get loops, too ?

I am not sure about how this effects DS0's. Voice and
HSDSL. DSL line share is gone so you have to do voice
to offer DSL, in the wholesale context.

What are they up too ? They limit competition in locations
where there are several major providers or a lot of business customers.

--
James H. Edwards
Routing and Security Administrator
jamesh at cybermesa.com