CIDR & Broadband

Suresh Ramasubramanian ops.lists at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 15:47:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 07:34:31 -0800 (PST), David Barak
<thegameiam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I just happened to notice something:
>
> AS18566      755        7      748    99.1%   CVAD
> Covad Communications

> Clearly, all of them can be described as "leaf" ASes.
> None of them seem to have multihoming customers (or at
> least not THAT many).  I seem to remember a person
> from Covad saying that their deaggregation was going
> to be temporary

It is about as temporary as a whole lot of other temporary things have
been over the years I suspect.

Anyway - as Brad Roldan of covad posted -

> Our superblocks are also being advertised, for those of you that want
> to filter our routes.
>
> Want to discuss further? Great. Call me or email me directly. Contact
> info is below.
>
> Think you can do it better? Even better. It turns out I'm hiring. :)

So I guess till Brad hires someone who thinks he can do better wrt
avoiding random eastern european providers leaking covad specifics,
those of y'all who want to can just accept his superblock
advertisements and forget about the deaggregates.

I don't suspect  that the world is suddenly going to be rid of
providers in remote corners of the world who fatfinger their router
configs, or that everybody's suddenly going to adopt bcp38 and stop
bogus advertisements in their tracks .. so we just resign ourselves to
seeing entries like those remain fixtures in future cidr reports  as
well :(

--srs
--srs