Interesting DNS problem.

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Thu Dec 16 21:27:27 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Bob Martin wrote:

> I've just been hired to fix problems at a small ISP. One of their
> customers has listed several nameservers with a single IP.
> I didn't know this was possible. I thought there was a 1 to 1
> relationship with nameserver names/addresses. I'm trying to figure out
> if this is or will be a problem.

Had been possible for about 3 years, maybe more. And remember before you
could have the same as well if nameserver with same ip was registered in
multiple TLDs, but it was a problem when Verisign still had .COM zone run
on the root name server so that is the reason why it was not officially
aloowed, but it should not be a problem any more. The only thing to worry
about is that if you have multiple nameserver on the same ip, when you
renumber then you have to remember to change each one of those nameservers
separately and with too many of them its going to be a pain in the --).

BTW - that is nothing, how about multiple ips registered in whois and
TLD zone for the same nameserver? (and not to mention fun you might have
if you ever need to renumber and want to change just one of those ips -
those registrar & registry techs might have interesting time trying to
figure out how to do it with EPP or even worth with RRP...

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net