The Cidr Report

Joe Provo nanog-post at rsuc.gweep.net
Sun Dec 12 18:30:12 UTC 2004

[This was started last month. been a little busy. unsuprisingly I
only had to *add* an incident and it still works.]

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 02:47:30PM -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
[snip]

Yes it means what you think.
No, I don't see anyone giving a rat's patootie about aggregation.

I was starting to think I was the only one still reading the reports.
Had a half-written rant each time interesting events happened, just
been too busy. In recent months:
- on the 4th->5th of November, the (reported) table bloated by ~9k
  pfefixes overnight. not an eyebrow raised.
- when the table bloated over 140k, just this last July, the report
  was hosed at the end of a cycle obviously hit its own MAXINT. Not
  a comment from regular report readers, nor even a mocking Nelson
  "Ha-Haw" post by those taking the actions.
- this month, another knee was at 150k [Dec 4th] and similarly
  garbled results came out. Again, no response.
...in this one year we've seen the shape of the climb return to the
curve characterized by two years 99-01. Going for e?  I'm not quite
sure what the current point of the report is if no-one responds to
even it breaking.

I never saw a single post following up to to the actual purpose
and policy issues from October's "aggregation & table entries"
thread. Other than the specifics of multihomed customers and RPF
issues, my point about segregation of internal and externaal
policies and the reflection in the "announce used" vs "announce
allocated" was neither agreed, refuted, nor even commented further.
I have seen deaggregators claim 'security' [shred the routing table
assume that if Some Other Company can base their entire business
plan on moving the costs of 'optimized' deaggregation onto the
global community (beyond their providers), then why can't they.

When I'm feeling conspiracy-minded, it seems that those of a
certain size are trying to squeeze the smaller folks out of the
business by encouraging the behavior of bloat.  But then I correct
the angle of my tinfoil beanie and realize they are just lazy.
Their laziness does directly cost any newly-multihoming enterprises;
some of the networks who are contributing to the garbage still
tell customers that full tables will fit into 128M on a cisco.
(eg, http://www.sprintlink.net/support/bgp_request.html)

It is disappointing and frankly I can't see a way past it.  When
2914 finally slid down to the lowest common denominator, the last
'big stick' was gone.  1239 is unapologetically violating their
own customer bgp policies in this regard (point 9 on
http://www.sprintlink.net/policy/bgp.html). The list goes on and
on.

Otherwise reasonable people have refuted logic and claim adding
more data into the system doesn't increase churn effect and thereby
degrade stability. Control theory and structured programming be
damned, they say "it hasn't melted yet." Perhaps they want to see
if they can make Metcalfe's predict come true, just 10 years too
early?

The baseline expectation is that the DFZ carries rechability data.
Any more-specific data of interest is exchanged between parties who
want it, request it, or pay for it. "Being conservative in what you
send" also applies to anticipating *others* not being liberal in
what they receive.  There's a whole lot of non-conservative senders
out there, and when they have reachability problems of their own
making, with simple and trivial fixes if they had only thought
things through in the first place, they have no-one but themselves
to blame.

Those believing otherwise are encouraged to send real, hard data.
There is no meaningful data I can find since the Bellovin/Bush/
Griffin/Rexford 2001 paper.

Joe

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE