Sheesh, regulators

Suresh Ramasubramanian ops.lists at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 02:40:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:49:27 +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian
<suresh at outblaze.com> wrote:
> http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2004/09/11/stories/2004091102660400.htm
> ISPs may be stopped from offering private leased line services
[...]
> The telecom regulator has also sought the views of the Department of
> Telecom (DoT) on the issue and would give its final directive in the
> next few weeks. DoT officials said that the department was looking at
> allowing ISPs to offer VPN services but only after paying an entry fee
> to level the playing field with long distance players.

The TRAI (indian telecom regulator) seems to be making a (belated)
protest about the DoT (department of telecom, govt of India)'s attempt
to tax VPNs, effectively creating a new type of ISP - "ISP offering
VPN services"

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2004/12/10/stories/2004121003090300.htm

 TRAI wants to be heard on licence fees for ISPs

Thomas K. Thomas

New Delhi , Dec. 9

IN what could become the next big controversy in communications
sector, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has asked the
Department of Telecom (DoT) to seek its recommendations on the policy
decision to impose entry fee and licence fee on Internet Service
Providers. This is the first time that the telecom regulator has made
such a request after the DoT has already announced its decision.

In a letter written to Mr Nripendra Misra, Secretary, DoT, the telecom
regulator has said that the Government should have in the first place
sought the views of TRAI since it involved creation of a new category
of licence called ISPs with Virtual Private Network.

"Since TRAI's recommendations are required for issuing the terms of a
licence, it is logical that they should also be obtained at the time
of modification of a licence earlier granted. I would request you to
refer the issue to TRAI for opinion before finalising the Government
decision in this matter," said the letter by its Chairman, Mr Pradip
Baijal.

The telecom regulator has said that the ISP with VPN licence is a new
licence for the service provider, especially since this will be
distinct from the current ISP licence. The DoT had announced its
decision last month to impose a licence fee of 8 per cent of the
annual revenues on ISPs apart from an entry fee ranging between Rs 1
crore and Rs 10 crore. The department had not taken the
recommendations of the telecom regulator before announcing the
decision, which irked not only the TRAI but also the ISPs. DoT on its
part said that it was not required to seek the telecom regulator's
recommendations, since it was a decision which sought to expand the
scope of the existing ISP licence. TRAI had earlier sent a letter to
DoT suggesting an entry fee of Rs 25 lakh.

Meanwhile, the ISPs are chalking out their strategy to challenge the
DoT decision which includes legal recourse. "We will await the final
guidelines of the policy from DoT before finalising our next move,"
said Mr Amitabh Singhal, President, Internet Service Providers
Association.