verizon.net and other email grief

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Fri Dec 10 20:42:57 UTC 2004

--On Friday, December 10, 2004 12:30 -0800 Paul Trebilco
<ptreb at server101.com> wrote:

> Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
>>
>> That would be 1000's of other people's servers getting traffic from you
>> because someone forged their address in the spam. You are effectively
>> doubleing the total load spam places on the net.
>>
>> This doesn't scale.
>
> How so? Are you maybe confusing reject with bounce? If address
> verification takes place while the SMTP connection is still up, no forged
> adresses get messaged, at least not by the server doing the rejecting.

The other part is that you CACHE the answer you get (good, bad, or
indifferent).  I think that SPF+sender address verification is a GOOD thing
when properly implemented.  Yes it can be a bit of a hassle, but you
shouldn't be sending mail you're not prepared to bounce.

That said, none of my sites are running a current enough version of Postfix
to do this.