no whois info ?

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Fri Dec 10 17:27:26 UTC 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, kent crispin wrote:

> > I disagree, I think this may be ok, but its specifically because its
> > for .com/.net whois (not ok for general TLD). Reasons are:
> >  1. Internic.net / CRSNIC whois has no limit set on number of queries
> >     client from particular ip can make before queries are denied (or
> >     it may have limit but its set very high) and its data is almost
> >     always available and quite fast (but there were some outages).
>
> Only works for .com and .net.

Which is exactly what I said :)

Nevertheless majority of the domains used (including very large number of
spammer registered domains) are in .com/.net which is why I think this
would be usefull greylisting technique (note that its not good idea for
blacklisting unless data other then from whois is available!).

I'm going to explore this weekend what it would take to take some of
the code I have and make into the kind of library I described (this will
require addition of specialized caching database, etc) and then if others
are interested I'd like to get together with MTA and/or greylisting
spamfilter developers to finish this all up.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net