no whois info ?

Elmar K. Bins elmi at 4ever.de
Fri Dec 10 10:21:53 UTC 2004

abuse at cabal.org.uk (Peter Corlett) wrote:

> william(at)elan.net <william at elan.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > Read NANOG archives - Verisign now allows immediate (well, within
> > about 10 minutes) updates of .com/.net zones (also same for .biz)
> > while whois data is still updated once or twice a day. That means if
> > spammer registers new domain he'll be able to use it immediatly and
> > it'll not yet show up in whois (and so not be immediatly
> > identifiable to spam reporting tools) - and spammers are in fact
> > using this "feature" more and more!
>
> This tempts me to hack something into Exim that does a whois on
> previously-unseen sender domains, and give a deferral if the whois
> denies existence of the domain. Is this likely to have any meaningful
> effect?

No. It depends too much on

  (a) the registry and registrar for the domain
  (b) overall whois availability to that TLD (not everybody uses whois)
  (c) your connectivity to the whois servers involved (possibly more than one)

Yours,
	Elmar.

--

"Begehe nur nicht den Fehler, Meinung durch Sachverstand zu substituieren."
                          (PLemken, <bu6o7e$e6v0p$2 at ID-31.news.uni-berlin.de>)