Peering best practices advice needed.

Ejay Hire ejay.hire at isdn.net
Thu Dec 9 02:27:03 UTC 2004

Hello.

Three options.

1.  Acquire a second ASN, and announce each site's /19 from
a different asn.

2.  Announce each locations /19 from it's respective
location, using the same asn.
Use the cisco BGP command Allow-as-in to permit each AS to
hear the remote site's network advertisement.

3.  If the remote site will not be multihomed, ask their ISP
to announce the /19 for you.

My gut says that if you are advertising a block in the
territory of another RIR, your irr entries will need to be
correct to save filtering issues.

Good Luck,
Ejay

On
> Behalf Of Rolo Tomassi
> Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 11:04 AM
> To: nanog at merit.edu
> Subject: Peering best practices advice needed.
>

> Hi all,
>
> Please forgive the simplistic nature of the query..
>
> Basically my company is multi-homed with 2 different
> providers in the UK,
> and advertising a /18. Now some colleaguges in another
part
> of the world
> want to break that /18 into two /19's and advertise one
/19
> and we advertise
> the other. This is fine, however we are NOT running IBGP
in the core,
> therefore the UK customers in the /19 will not be able to
> reach the other
> /19 as there would be a loop detected through EBGP.
>
> Now someone mentioned that we could use AS-LOOP-IN feature
which will
> overcome this problem and allow us to route to each other
via