ASN and Peering Problem

Patrick W Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed Dec 8 20:18:21 UTC 2004

On Dec 8, 2004, at 2:59 PM, Adi Linden wrote:

> We currently have two /19 that we advertise on a single ASN. A client
> would like to obtain /23 or /22 from us. This is not a problem, except
> that their primary internet provider is someone else, other than us.
> I think that they would need to have their own ASN to advertise their
> portion of our ip space to their peers.
>
> My question is, should we provide the ASN or should they apply for an
> ASN?

They should.

> What is the minimum block considered routable, is it reasaonable to
> advertise a /23 on its own ASN?

Many people do /24s.  There is no real difference between a /24 and /23
in most people's filters.  A /20 may or may not get them more
reachability, but as long as you accept their /23 and announce the
aggregate CIDR, it should not matter.

> Are there any other solutions I haven't thought of?

Yes, but they are all bad. :)

--
TTFN,
patrick

P.S. Wow, two operational posts in one day.  What is happening to this
list?