Little brother of sitefinder

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Wed Dec 8 20:15:43 UTC 2004

It has just come to my attention that NetSol is now assigning a CNAME record
of resalehost.networksolutions.com to all expired domains. This is so the
web site will come up with a "This domain expired on this data, click here
to renew." page.

resalehost.networksolutions.com has IP 216.168.224.53, doesn't listen on
port 25, and has no MX record. The upshot is, mail to expired domains,
instead of being rejected outright in the SMTP dialog, sits in our queue for
5 days. Users don't know right away that mail isn't getting through.

This isn't quite on the same level as Sitefinder, but it's the same mindset,
make a change without examining the impact.

The operational impact has been support time spent finding out why mail has
supposedly disappeared, and/or is sitting in our queue.

Is this new, or have I had my head in the sand ?