Peering best practices advice needed.

Graham Blake grahamb at ssimicro.com
Wed Dec 8 18:45:23 UTC 2004

Hi there,
If I understand your predicament correctly, our company has a similar
situation. We have two locations from which we need to advertise routes
from our AS, but our internal link between these two locations is a very
high cost satellite link. This means we can not afford to advertise our
whole IP allocation equally from both locations.

We have a /19 allocated, and we advertise both the /19 from each location,
and the more specific /20 particular to each location. To circumvent the
loop detection, we use the hidden Cisco command, neighbour x.x.x.x allow-as
in. This allows each location to accept the remote's advertised /20 to be
inserted into the routing table. Should connectivity ever be lost across
the public networks in between, there is a higher cost static route over
the satellite link.

Perhaps in a more complex and more meshed AS, this loop dodging would be a
bad thing(tm). In our simple two location, semi-discontiguous network
layout, it has been a problem-free solution. Hope this helps in some way.
Regards,
Graham Blake
SSI Micro Network Services