Peering best practices advice needed.

Rolo Tomassi rolotomassi32 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 8 17:03:33 UTC 2004

Hi all,

Please forgive the simplistic nature of the query..

Basically my company is multi-homed with 2 different providers in the UK,
and advertising a /18. Now some colleaguges in another part of the world
want to break that /18 into two /19's and advertise one /19 and we advertise
the other. This is fine, however we are NOT running IBGP in the core,
therefore the UK customers in the /19 will not be able to reach the other
/19 as there would be a loop detected through EBGP.

Now someone mentioned that we could use AS-LOOP-IN feature which will
overcome this problem and allow us to route to each other via EBGP. I really
think this is a bad idea but until we get an internal link - I dont see a
way forward. So... anyone doing this currently in their network or have any
"best practices" way round this. I want our company to be good Netizens but
still be able to pass traffic between the 2 /19's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rolo !