Banned on NANOG

Bill Nash billn at billn.net
Mon Dec 6 17:43:20 UTC 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Hannigan, Martin wrote:

> You expect? Bill, nothing personal, but your S:N is 0:6 at this point. Not
> one single op post ever. No meeting attendance. Not one answered technical
> question. How about earning a few stripes before making demands of NANOG?
> Srh may be in need of a config change, but she's one of us. Show some
> respect.

Actually, that's incorrect. I've been in the underside of network ops for
years. Just because you've personally never seen me, just as I was unaware
of who Susan was, makes neither of us nonexistant. I'm as much a user of
this list as you are, and if you look carefully, you'll see some posts
with my name in them, because I was having an offlist conversation with
someone who posted a chunk of it back. I can appreciate what you're
saying, but on the same token, this list is as much a tool to do my job as
any code or policy I've ever written. To paraphrase the Vix, what I've
said doesn't matter, it's what I'm saying that's important.

If you'd *prefer* I keep my cantankerous carcass in the public light, I
guess I could make some posts. But given my posting habits and bad people
skills, I think it's best that I don't, and I'm perfectly fine to lurk.
Those on the list who do know me and work/have worked with me would
probably agree with me.

As I said before, I'm not a routing engineer, nor representative of a
large provider. I do, however, work for a reasonably large network traffic
consumer and have to be aware of external conditions and issues, as well
as developing technologies, legislation, and trends. I have no idea what
you do, other than that shiny domain on your email address, but I'm not
going to make the assumption that you're useless and have no place here,
simply because I don't know you personally.

I don't think my expectation for a response for adjustment of the charter
to make moderation, well, moderate, is unreasonable. We're all
professionals here, aren't we? As for my S/N ratio, not a single post I've
made yet has been offtopic, and apply directly to the lists functional
operation, if you want to nitpick. I just want it fixed before all the
clue leaks out.

- billn