16-bit ASN kludge

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Dec 6 01:45:47 UTC 2004

--On Sunday, December 5, 2004 3:55 PM +0100 Iljitsch van Beijnum
<iljitsch at muada.com> wrote:

> On 4-dec-04, at 21:04, Edward B. Dreger wrote:
>
>> I suppose there could be in excess of 65431 transit networks.  I think
>> that's why Owen suggested reserving, say, 2^20 ASNs for transit in
>> 32-bit space.
>
> How does this make sense? If you have one of the ASes in the range 2^16 -
> 2^20-1 you, your customers and your transits still need to be able to
> handle 32 bit AS numbers. Apart from the backward compatibility being
> slightly more important for transit networks there is no upside to having
> a separate transit network and leaf network AS space.

My thinking was that transit networks could aggregate leaf advertisements
and share only the aggregates instead of the more specifics.  The hope
here was that by having separate leaf/transit ASNs, we could perform another
level of routing table size management/optimization.

I think optimizing for backward compatibility for transit initially, and,
eventually, for transit routing table size while still providing leaf
multihoming capabilities is desirable.

Owen