[OT] Re: Banned on NANOG

Richard Irving rirving at antient.org
Sat Dec 4 20:22:07 UTC 2004

Alex Bligh wrote:
> --On 04 December 2004 17:35 +0000 Paul Vixie <vixie at vix.com> wrote:
>
>> third and last, there are a number of principles up for grabs right now,
>> and the folks who want to grab them aren't universal in their motives or
>> goals.  some folks think that rules are bad.  others think that susan is
>> bad or that merit is bad.  some say that rules are ok if the community
>> has
>> visibility and ultimate control.
>
> I'd add: if people don't like NANOG, demand a full refund for your
> year's membership. Then go set up your own mail-server and work out your
> own moderation policies. If you do a better job, you'll win clueful
> subscribers.

   Don't confuse historical momentum, with a fair set of rules,
base fallacy.

   Susan has been more than a touch heavy handed and biased
on occasion in the past.

   I myself won a -=>reprieve<=- from a banning, as it
was determined to have "politically motivated", circa 2001.

   And, just to be fair, I have -lost- a challenge to a Susan
originated "6 month banning", as well.

  It seems controversial subjects may trigger
suppres^^^^^suspension of speech.   :P

Dissing Bush backed agendas appear to be one of the triggers.
(See current Doonesbury, this is not a limited trend, BTW  ;)

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/db/2004/db041201.gif

  I seem to recall one of my/Susans trigger points was to call
the US politicians attempting to create the anti-spam
laws, "a bunch of ineffective idiots, attempting to legislate
that which needs to be solved with technology."

[ So, it has been a while after passing the laws,
look around..... Was I really that wrong ?   ]

   But, it didn't matter, it wasn't politically correct at the
time... and I only came off ban a couple months back.

   Caution -is- suggested, no matter how right you are,
it -is- their list.

  So, my suggestion, dissent with -extreme- diplomacy.

   Remember, the Kings of old weren't too keen on dissent,
and if it wasn't for the Court Jester, the opposing view would
-never- have been heard.

   Regular People kept "losing their heads" over dissent...

Only the giggling cartwheeling fool could get away with it....

   ;)

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/db/2004/db041202.gif

  So Caution, History -has- been known to repeat itself.

  Might I suggest a really colorful jingly hat ?

    :)

< G >