using sniffer on high-bandwidth pipes

Peter John Hill peterjhill at cmu.edu
Sat Dec 4 05:31:32 UTC 2004

If you want to get serious, check out endace cards... www.endace.com

Their cards offload much of the pcap processing to the specialized
nic... It is only for sniffing. They manage to do a zero copy directly
to memory... You can capture near line rate at gigabit speeds.

They are expensive, but worth it for serious monitoring.. Tie this with
a fast dell tower that you can put on a cart or a something like a Dell
2950 with lots of disk space and run argus
http://www.qosient.com/argus/index.htm

Peter