Load balancing outgoing connections automatically.

Chris Ranch CRanch at Affinity.com
Fri Dec 3 18:57:35 UTC 2004

> Drew Weaver wrote:
> |             Howdy. We?re looking at upgrading our border router(s)
> | from 7500s to (something) yet undetermined.

I love my 7304-G100's as a nice step up from the 7500's, and short of
the GSR or J-vendor.  Be sure to get the G100's and not the NSE-100 (no
PXF).  Order of magnitude less horsepower, same cost, don't know why
they even sell them.

> | I?ve also heard of gear from companies like route
> | science that could possibly achieve the same thing. But I?ve heard
> | that it runs like $300,000 for a box, is there anything a
> bit smaller
> | for companies within the oc-3 range? That could accompany my router?

Drew mentioned InterNAP's Sockeye and NetVMG stuff, and Bruce pointed
out OER:

> Cisco Optimized Edge Routing (OER)
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns471/networking_solutions_w
> hite_paper09186a008022dbfa.shtml
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns471/netqa0900aecd800f5584.html
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns471/networking_solutions_p
> ackage.html

There's also Infiniroute, formerly Proficient Networks. (couldn't he'p
mahself, Bruce)

In any event, unless you're running your links at near capacity, I would
say that occasional manual balancing (an hour once every few weeks or
so) is a LOT less effort than implementing and caring for all the above
new moving parts.

Chris
Affinity Internet