How many backbones here are filtering the makelovenotspam scr eensaver site?

Justin Ryburn justin at ryburn.org
Fri Dec 3 00:17:32 UTC 2004

>Lycos has created a large botnet (at least by most people's
>definition) that is hidden in the guise of a screen saver claiming to
>only go after the "bad guys".

This is what scares me.  Who determines the "bad guys?"  I don't know anyone
over at Lycos so I have no trust (or lack there of) in Lycos.  Who is to say
that Lycos won't decide next month that Yahoo, Google, MSN, _insert your own
network here_ are "bad guys" and point the screen saver at them.  Are they
likely to do it?  Probably not; it would be a PR nightmare for them.  But
who is to stop them?  What if they don't go so extreme and just point the
screen saver at "gray hat" hosts who are open relays or something?

My opinion (not that anyone asked) is retaliation is childish and
unprofessional.  I remember the Internet before Spam, botnets, DDOS, etc.
and dream of a day when these are "under control" again just as much as the
next geek.  However, stooping to the level of the miscreant is not the
answer to the problem in my opinion.

Justin Ryburn
justin at ryburn.org

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like
nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
  --  Mark Twain