How many backbones here are filtering the makelovenotspam scr eensaver site?

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Thu Dec 2 20:58:03 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Steven Champeon wrote:

> on Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 02:56:29PM -0500, Hannigan, Martin wrote:
> > Possibly. What will happen if the Lycos botnet gets hijacked?
> >
> > The conversations between the clients and the servers don't appear
> > to be keyed. If a million clients got owned, it would be the
> > equivalent of an electronic Bubonic Plague with no antidote.
>
> You mean, like the existing botnets we already know exist but are
> already under the control of spammers?
>
> What's the difference? Why is everyone so upset about Lycos and nobody
> seems to be doing much of anything about the /existing botnets/, which
> conservative estimates[1] already put at anywhere from 1-3K per botnet
> to upwards of 1-5M hosts total[2]?

perhaps the difference is 'reponsible people' don't go out and recruit
botnets... Lycos, as a corporate entity with it's business model dependent
upon the health and wellbeing of the Internet would try to be
'responsible', or so I would have thought.

arguing that there are murderers and rapists out there and that 'nothing
is being done' is hardly reason to become one yourself.

-Chris