ATM over T1

John L Lee johnllee at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 2 02:05:31 UTC 2004

Greg,

My assumption from your discussion is that you are transporting ATM cell
traffic over T1 circuits. If you are transporting T1 TDM traffic over
ATM than
that is a different matter. T1 over ATM cells need to be terminated and
have the ATM cells stripped reconstruct the ESF frame of T1 and then you
can run
it over "standard" T1/DS3/T3 infrastructure.

Having done ATM over T1 in a previous life, usually the framing for an
ATM T1 is ESF. As long as you are muxing on a straight 28 T1's on a
T3/DS3 over fiber or that keeps channelized T1s for your ATM circuits
you are fine. SBC and Verizon both have tarriffed services for ATM over
T1, T3, OC-3c and OC12c the last time I worked with them. If memory
serves We used HEC encoding on the DS3 based ATM circuits but for
standard M13 mux i do not know if it will be C, hec or PLCP encoding.

What is the payload that you are transporting over the ATM cells? TDM
traffic such as voice, IP over ATM, IP over Frame Over ATM, video over ATM
or native ATM cells? You will get some additional propagation delay and
jitter whether you just transport the bits or terminate the circuits and
forward the
data streams or PDUs.

One issue that I would research on the device that you are terminating
the T1 with ATM payload into is whether the interface uses the ESF
signalling channel
at all?

John Lee
(ISDN - It Suites Dennis's Needs)