is reverse dns required? (policy question)

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Wed Dec 1 19:33:57 UTC 2004

At 08:56 AM 12/01/04 -0800, Greg Albrecht wrote:
>are we obligated, as a user of ARIN ip space, or per some BCP, to provide
>ad-hoc reverse dns to our customers with-out cost, or without financial
>obligation.

As noted, reverse DNS is pretty universally considered a normal operating
practice, "part of the service". There is no IETF BCP that tells you
anything about your business obligations, as in "without cost". However, I
think you are correct that it is an important service to your customers.

One consideration: you might very strongly consider a mechanism (such as
dynamic DNS) that enables you to not only provide names corresponding to
addresses assigned, but to limit your names to addresses that are in actual
use. The way my ISP-of-sorts (Cisco) sets up my home office address space,
I have a name for each address in the block whether it is used or not, and
if someone were to spoof one of the unused addresses the fact would not be
noticed. Dynamic DNS or something like it would