ATM over T1

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Wed Dec 1 18:36:20 UTC 2004

Hello,
	This is my first post to the NANOG list, so please.. be gentle! ;)

I am looking at consolidating several different POPs in a specific city
that include a mixture of Point to Point and ATM T1 circuits. My goal is
to shut down all of the physical infrastructure in that city, cross
connecting all of the circuits onto a Muxed DS3 and backhaul them into a
larger Metro POP.
	This is pretty simple for the standard DS1 and PRI circuits, but
the ATM T1 connections have me wondering. I do not have a great deal of
experience with ATM, and although we have a couple of T1 ATM
interconnetions in our primary Metro POP, I am questioning wether it is
truly possible to cross connect the ATM T1 interconnects to Verizon and
SBC onto a standard M13T mux, backhaul them into my Metro POP and then
hand them off to appropriate ATM interfaces.
	I've gotten conflicting answers from various sources, so I figured
that I would ask here, as most likely there is someone here who can give a
cogent answer as to why or why not.

So, can I cross connect several ATM T1s onto a DS3 mux and break them out
on the other side? Or do I need some sort of intelligent MUX that
understands ATM?

                             KP-216-121-ST