is reverse dns required? (policy question)

Patrick W Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed Dec 1 17:29:47 UTC 2004

On Dec 1, 2004, at 11:56 AM, Greg Albrecht wrote:

> i'm currently having an argument with management.

Don't we all, always? :-)

> we've recently gotten an influx of customer request for us to setup
> reverse dns for the customer's mail servers, since most sites (aol,
> freebsd, others) require it to accept mail, and reject mail if it is
> not from a server with reverse dns (i'm aware this is an emerging
> trend).

Don't know if I would call it "emerging", as some people have done it
for years.

> however, management has taken it upon themselves to charge our
> customers
> for every reverse dns request they submit to us.

Your business, your servers, your customers, your decision.

It is not completely unheard-of, but it certainly is very rare.

Personally, as a customer, I would never pay an ISP for in-addr, and
would make a conscious effort to change ISPs if one made me pay for it.
  Strikes me as the type of nickel-and-dime mentality that will cause me
much larger problems down the road.

--
TTFN,
patrick