is reverse dns required? (policy question)

J.D. Falk jdfalk at cybernothing.org
Wed Dec 1 17:14:20 UTC 2004

On 12/01/04, Greg Albrecht <gba at undef.net> wrote:

> are we obligated, as a user of ARIN ip space, or per some BCP, to
> provide ad-hoc reverse dns to our customers with-out cost, or without
> financial obligation.

	From a purely network operations perspective: YES, every IP
	address should have matching forward & reverse DNS.  That's been
	beyond best practices and into the "everybody does it unless
	they're really stupid" realm for well over a decade.

	Reverse DNS has only become /more/ important as spam-blocking
	efforts noticed the strong correlation between networks too lazy
	to maintain reverse DNS, and networks too lazy or evil to care
	if they were hosting spammers.

	As for the finances...that's up to you, but I've never before
	heard of a provider who charged extra for it.

--
J.D. Falk                                                   okay, what's next?
<jdfalk at cybernothing.org>