IRR Registration

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Dec 1 14:46:54 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 09:54:03PM -0500, Jason Frisvold wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> We just received our first ARIN allocation and I'm going through the
> motions to make sure we do everything right.  Aside from dealing with
> DNS, BGP, and rwhois (which is a nightmare to set up), it was highly
> recommended that we register with an IRR.  After looking a bit, I'm
> wondering which IRR I should be registering with ...
>
> It looks like ARIN has an IRR, but it's not something I can register
> with.  The 2 specifically mentioned were raddb and altdb ...  altdb
> obviously looks good because it's free...
>
> So ..  is there a recommended registry to register with?  Is it better
> to register with more than one?  Am I staring a religious argument in
> the face here?

	most people mirror altdb, etc..

	I think the real question becomes, do your providers require
you to register your prefixes?  In that case, I would recommend sticking
with your provider registry.  They can query it realtime.  They usually
only mirror the other registries once a day.  This can mean some
significant lag if you are planning on making an announcement change.

	Aside from that, it's good practice and being a good
net.citizen to register them.  It helps provide accurate routing
and contact data should someone need to contact you about a problem.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net