Definition of P2P (was Feinstein)

Daniel Reed n at ml.org
Tue Aug 31 01:26:57 UTC 2004

On 2004-08-30T16:33-0700, Bora Akyol wrote:
) I think we need to define what P2P is before we can address this.

I don't know that such authority exists. "Peer to peer networking" has
existed as a term for a lot longer than your post seems to imply.

) P2P I would define as distributed file sharing with database like search
) capabilities. If you define it in this context, the bandwidth

I would be slightly more comfortable with this discussion if it used
terminology other than the unqualified "P2P" or "peer to peer" for this
meaning. The discussion may forever be plagued by side-discussions about
meaning otherwise.

--
Daniel Reed <n at ml.org>	http://people.redhat.com/djr/	http://naim.n.ml.org/
There is a lot of food in a supermarket, too, but a supermarket isn't