Senator Diane Feinstein Wants to know about the Benefits of P2P

Jeff Wheeler jwheeler at usip.org
Mon Aug 30 21:31:12 UTC 2004

p2p is different due to its decentralization.  in other words, what
once required a server to do can now be done by anyone sitting in front
of their home computer.  it in a way revitalized the idea of every
computer on the 'net being it's own host - capable of serving up
whatever the user wishes to whomever wishes to view it.

the problem is that while in the 'real world' this wasn't a big issue
(a user giving away copies of the latest CD they bought from their
front porch wasn't likely able to distribute it to too many people, and
it cost them money to do it) on the 'net it is an issue (user has no
noticeable costs, and the distribution is world-wide).

the various industries in question have realized that controlling
distribution is impossible, the only thing they can control is the
content itself (thus the various copy protection mechanisms, and
legislation to implement the copy-protect flag) except that breaks fair
use rights of the consumer.  I hate to say it, but the *AA may need to
look to Microsoft's Windows/Office activation scheme for guidance -
while a bit of a nuisance, it actually allows customers to make fair
use of their software while protecting MS from some of the piracy
issues.  Not that I have any idea of MS's software activation can
translate in to protection of CDs and DVDs and whatnot, but it's
something to think about (it's certainly better than the current
mechanisms:  copy once and never again, or copy only digital files that
are of a degraded quality, or only playable on certain players to
prevent copying via a computer, among I'm sure many others).

--
Jeff Wheeler
Postmaster, Network Admin