Senator Diane Feinstein Wants to know about the Benefits of P2P

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Mon Aug 30 20:39:56 UTC 2004

At 04:12 PM 30/08/2004, Dan Hollis wrote:

>yep md5 made the news recently because it's been cracked:
>
>http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-22-5314533.html
>http://www.rtfm.com/movabletype/archives/2004_08.html#001055

Thats a misleading over simplification.  A collision being found implies
something different than "its cracked."  A weakness that was theorized
sometime ago has been demonstrated in practice.  Finding collisions and
altering files in a useful way to produce a duplicate hash are different
things.  There are FAR bigger security concerns than this one right now IMHO.

I recall even seeing posts about people claiming this meant original data
being reconstructed from the checksum!  That would be truly amazing since I
could reconstruct a 680MB ISO from just 61d38fad42b4037970338636b5e72e5a. Wow!

         ---Mike

         ---Mike