Senator Diane Feinstein Wants to know about the Benefits of P2P

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Mon Aug 30 20:19:22 UTC 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Petri Helenius wrote:
> > Byron L. Hicks wrote:
> > >Not true.  For those of us who host Akamai servers, we could download SP2
> > >with no problems.  We did not need P2P, or MSDN.  In fact, I would be very
> > >reluctant to trust a Windows update downloaded via P2P.
> > How is the p2p checksum different from any other checksum on the file?
>
> the cynic in me says that the senator is looking for our arguments in
> favor of p2p, so that she knows exactly how to argue against us and
> exactly how to write a bill to hurt us the most.
>
> recall that feinstein is one of the loudest anti-p2p legislators.
>
> i am not sure anyone should be helping her.

because legislating in the 'USA' something that is clearly 'global' has
worked so well? politicians looking to get:
1) votes
2) 'political bang for the buck'
3) useless hot air blown up someone's rear

really need to stop trying to legislate behaviour in places they can't
touch... To repeat: "If you make <currently legal Internet thing> illegal
in the US, I'll just move my <currently legal Internet thing> OUTSIDE the
US Borders and give you the middle finger as a salute."

that seems to 'work' well enough:
1) spam
2) hacking
3) Child Porn
4) drug sales
5) p2p network 'stuff' (kazaa was built by some corporation out of
christmas island ?? or was that another of the P2P products?)

-Chris