optics pricing (Re: Weird GigE Media Converter Behavior)

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Mon Aug 30 19:17:22 UTC 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Mark Borchers wrote:
> Peter Galbavy wrote:
> >
> > On the other hand, the use of patent licenses (like those
> > that say "free if
> > you don't claim against us") for things like VRRP do worry me.
> >

> Everybody's entitled to their opinion, but this excerpt from
> http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR//VRRP-CISCO does not seem to me
> to portend predatory pricing:

However it does make an open source (and certainly a free) implimentation
very difficult to do.

A license of $1000 per machine is "reasonable and nondiscriminatory terms"
for $100k routers but not for a something that I want to download and run
on a few Linux boxes.

--
Simon J. Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.