optics pricing (Re: Weird GigE Media Converter Behavior)

Dickson, Brian BDickson at arbinet.com
Sun Aug 29 16:35:16 UTC 2004

Aha. It appears I was correct in framing my knowledge as out-of-date. :-)

It looks like the technology *has* advanced, and that 10GE on MMF or SMF,
single-channel, is what the current state of the art is, and at the $2k-3k
unit price.

In which case, yes, not offering this (and not building cards to use cheaper
and/or more flexible component, ie XENPAK), is likely going to be a huge
mistake Cisco. Unless they bite the bullet and do whatever it takes to make
xenpak-based 10G cards, on at least some flavour of card on any 10G
platform.

(I don't really expect a xenpak-compatible version of soho routers to show
up, although it *would* be nice as an option on most of their switch
families.)

So, I sit corrected. ;-)

BTW, thanks for pointing this out; it's nice to see that things haven't
completely stagnated in the last couple of years.

Brian

P.S. At that price level, I actually *do* expect another Swede will have, or
already has, one or more of this class of box at home. In his WC, even. ;-)
P.P.S. He's not crazy. But he *should* have a t-shirt that says "I'm with
STUPI". ;-)