10 GE WAN PHY status?

Stefan Mink mink at schlund.net
Sun Aug 29 11:00:40 UTC 2004

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 11:28:02AM +0100, Neil J. McRae wrote:
> Most of the current optical DWDM systems that operators use
> today [i.e. >2 years old] can't do it and its not just a
> connector issue.

definitely not, I guess the system basically must have an ethernet switch
included which does the conversion and buffering between the faster
(asynchronous transport layer) lan phy port and the slower (synchronous
transport layer) wan phy port...

Some metro DWDM systems (e.g. optera metro) can do it today, but I guess
they couldn't do it either two years ago...

   tschuess
             Stefan
--
Stefan Mink, Schlund+Partner AG (AS 8560)
Primary key fingerprint: 389E 5DC9 751F A6EB B974  DC3F 7A1B CF62 F0D4 D2BA