10 GE WAN PHY status?

Erik Bais erik at is.nl
Sat Aug 28 08:18:03 UTC 2004

Stefan Mink wrote :

> Are there other products I missed? Are there XENPAKs
> already available which work with main stream switch
> manufacturers although they don't sell them themselves
> so far?

I know that Extreme Networks already is shipping XENPAK enabled switches.  The max for a single fiberspan according to the specs = 40Km.  ( depending on the quality of the fibers and the attenuation. )
They have blade's for the Blackdiamond 68 series and the BD10K and the Summit400 has 2 slots where you can fit them in.

http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2004/0202extreme.html

http://www.extremenetworks.com/LIBRARIES/prodpdfs/products/BD_XENPAK_DS.pdf

The only downside that I've seen on the Summit400 is the limited EAPS support to 1 EAPS domain.. but if you design your network correct you can get away with it. Other than that .. they look like a great ( not too expensive ) way to setup a Metro layer2 network.
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Erik Bais

-------- I S - I N T E R N E D - S E R V I C E S - B V --------
domeinregistratie - webhosting - colocating - dedicated servers
www.is.nl         -        info at is.nl       -    T: 0299-476185
Gorslaan 18       -         1441 RG         -         Purmerend