BGP Homing Question

Patrick W Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Fri Aug 27 15:16:40 UTC 2004

On Aug 27, 2004, at 8:58 AM, Joe Abley wrote:

> On 27 Aug 2004, at 08:13, Rick Lowery wrote:

>> I know they would not be good Internet citizen, but if they needed to
>> do this for a temp basis does anyone see an issue?
>
> There's not much bad citizenry in what you are suggesting: the
> assigning-RIR problem is a non-problem, and your two sites are still
> only going to originate one prefix each (which they would presumably
> do even if you had a separate LIR assignment for the European node).

There is zero "bad citizenry" in this, and don't let anyone tell you
differently.  It is your netblock, you get to use it as needed.  This
is much better than getting another /20 for an EU site that only needs
a /24.

Also, filtering will not be an issue, if you are careful.  Anyone who
does not hear the /24 will hear the /20.  Packets for the /24 will go
to your US upstream.  As long as your US upstream peers with your EU
upstream, and does not filter the /24 being announced over that peering
link, they will send the bits where they belong.  Since this is much
more common than the alternative, you will likely have full
connectivity.

Anyone knows who filters these days?  Sprint stopped when Sean left.
Verio stopped when Randy left.  I don't know anyone beating that drum
any more.  (Kinda nice, actually.)  I've heard some Asian ISPs do, but
don't remember who.

--
TTFN,
patrick