IPV6

Nils Ketelsen nils.ketelsen at kuehne-nagel.com
Tue Aug 24 13:24:57 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 09:35:01PM +0000, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:

> > http://www.arin.net/policy/ipv6_policy.html
> > If you are not a LIR (and do not plan to become one): Do not even bother
> > trying. PI-Address space does not exist. Multihoming for non-LIRs is still
> > an open issue.

> 	last I checked, LIR was a RIPE-specific construct...

Then, for IPv6 assignments, you might want to check again.
>From above mentioned Link:

---snip---
2.4. Local Internet Registry (LIR)

A Local Internet Registry (LIR) is an IR
that primarily assigns address space to the users of the network
services that it provides.
LIRs are generally ISPs, whose customers are primarily end users and
possibly other ISPs.
---snap---

And that is the policy ARIN claims to be using. IANA gives netblocks
to RIRs, RIRs give netblocks to LIRs (or NIRs, who then assign netblocks
to LIRs), LIRs give netblocks to Endusers. If an enduser changes his
provider (and LIR) he renumbers.

Nils