The strangest cable modem issue

Elvedin Trnjanin elvedin at ods.org
Mon Aug 23 16:39:21 UTC 2004

Get rid of the "?1c" at the end of the URL or it will take you a
registration page as it did for me.

Also, if there was a network outage, the modem wouldn't reboot itself. I
have this same problem when I'm nearly maxing out my WAN upload bandwidth
on my home DSL line but it only happens on my cheap D-Link router. I think
it a CPU usage issue for the device because when your maxing out your
upload, the network will be really bogged down so if the modem keeps
getting more and more traffic it would become too much for it's processor
to handle so it reboots.

The good reason why it does that which I can come up with is that during a
DoS attack, the same network conditions are experienced the the modems CPU
would be overwhelmed, so instead of it just hanging there the device is
rebooted so it would function again.

If it were possible for you to connect into your modem and see what's
happening with the CPU then perhaps that will give a few clues but at the
moment, it's anyone's guess.

--
- ODS.org Team

Elvedin Trnjanin