Precise per GB traffic calculations.

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Sat Aug 21 20:54:38 UTC 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Drew Weaver wrote:

>             Does anyone know of a solution that offers precise methods of
> tracking bandwidth utilizations at the per Megabyte or Gigabyte level and
> not at the rate of transfer level?
>

> Some people are asking me if we can bill them in this manner, and I'm
> questioning whether the stats that the switch are giving us are that
> accurate.

Drew,

Your counters probably reset a couple of times during the month, when they
reach some maximum value. Or perhaps because somebody power cycles the
switch.

So, no, it's not a good idea to look at the counter on day 1 and on day 30
and compare them. Check it every 5 minutes and store it in a database.
That way, the same system can do aggregate or 95th percentile, it's all in
the report script you write.

Andy

---
Andy Dills