DNS Blocking

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Thu Aug 19 19:03:28 UTC 2004

danm at prime.gushi.org ("Dan Mahoney, System Admin") writes:

> What I was basically asking for was a "silently drop queries for X-domain"
> option.  But one doesn't exist in bind.

take a look at www.as112.net to see what happens to queries for
10.in-addr.arpa and its brothers.  you can easily set up a zone
that will just confuse and make errors for whoever queries it:

        @          SOA  localhost hostmaster.localhost
                   NS   localhost
        localhost  A    127.0.0.1
        *          MX   0 localhost
                   A    127.0.0.1

(the specific name "localhost" is nec'y because glue searches
aren't required to find wildcards.)

if you put a zone like that in place on a server that's receiving
unwanted queries for some zone, they will soon stop, or not.  you
win either way -- the queries stop, or you laugh your ass off.
--
Paul Vixie