"scanning" e-mail [WAS: 3 Free Gmail invites]

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Thu Aug 19 18:24:20 UTC 2004

> From owner-nanog at merit.edu  Thu Aug 19 12:58:57 2004
> Cc: Patrick W Gilmore <patrick at ianai.net>
> From: Patrick W Gilmore <patrick at ianai.net>
> Subject: "scanning" e-mail [WAS: 3 Free Gmail invites]
> Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:55:46 -0400
> To: nanog at nanog.org
>

> On Aug 19, 2004, at 1:39 PM, Lou Katz wrote:

> >> You know, I'm having trouble finding people that *don't* have
> >> gmail.com
> >> accounts already. :P
> >
> > Because G-mail scans INCOMING mail without the sender's consent, we
> > will NEVER
> > have a G-mail account and have considered blocking them. We actively
> > discourage
> > our clients from using this service. If you want to let a service scan
> > YOUR mail,
> > it is your perogative, but you cannot give them permission to scan MY
> > mail to you.
>
> I believe your last statement is factually incorrect.  I absolutely
> _can_ do anything I please with "your" e-mail you send to me.  Not only
> that, I also believe I _may_ do it.  You send me e-mail, the e-mail is
> now mine.

Well, legally, "yes, and no".

>            I can post it publicly,

You _cannot_ legally do that.  copyright infringement.

>                                    put it into a search engine, or
> deleted it, and you have no say in the matter.  Might not be polite,
> but it certainly it not illegal.  Don't like it, don't send me e-mail.
> (Please. :)

You own the 'artifact' that is the message,  the 'intellectual property
rights' (i.e. "copyright") remain with the author/sender.

Doing thing with the message that require consent of the copyright holder
are things you cannot do _without_ that consent.  :)

'Private use' copying is _not_ one of those things, however.

> Google is simply indexing mail for their users as a service - an
> unobtrusive, completely benign service just like virus checking or
> procmail scripts which have been used for years.  And it certainly does
> not require the consent of the sender.  How I manage my mailbox is MY
> business.  You have exactly zero say over whether I let Google do it or
> Mail.app.

THAT is entirely correct.