Phishing (Was Re: WashingtonPost computer security stories)

Brett bretton at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 22:01:59 UTC 2004

I received a few messages as well, one with US Bank, which I don't
have an account with, and they both had images attached.  The image
was displayed, without any external connection.

As far as fighting abuse with abuse, it's not *always* a bad idea.  If
the databases are filled with bad entries, it will be too costly to
sort through valid data.  Other people will cease to purchase
information from the phisher because of unreliable data, or less will
be paid.  Either way, there will be less money in the particular
method and less of an incentive.  It will not stop phishing totally,
but why make it easier?  If you've got some extra time to write
something, then go for it.

As far as legal concerns, there is no law against lying to someone
that is trying to steal from you.

-b