filtering 1918 (was Re: Summary with...: Domain Name System ...)

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Aug 18 21:31:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 02:18:32PM -0700, David A. Ulevitch wrote:

> <quote who="Richard A Steenbergen">
>
> > Is it really enough traffic that you, as a root server operator, can't
> > just suck it up and deal? Sure there are going to be a few folks who are
> > misconfigured, but I can't imagine that it is enough to cause operational
> > issues.
>
> No, no operational issues at all from RFC1918 space....
>
> http://www.as112.net/  (just to drop the most well documented example...)

That looks like a 1918 issue to me... Lets be clear about the difference
between a DNS query for 1918 space and a DNS query sources from 1918 space
which can never be returned too.

Yes I'm sure it is annoying, but the questions are:

How much EXTRA load does it really place on the rootservers?
Is it really so much load that you can't just chalk it up to a normal
part of the service being provided?

Or to put it another way:

How much computing power would I need to buy you so that I never have to
hear complaints about queries from 1918 space on a mailing list again? :)