Current street prices for US Internet Transit

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Wed Aug 18 19:11:52 UTC 2004

* deepak at ai.net (Deepak Jain) [Wed 18 Aug 2004, 18:52 CEST]:
> Or, perhaps the better question is. How can one justify the cost of
> _public_ peering when fiber cross-connects are $200-$300/month each.

Perhaps not at the site previously mentioned.

I believe fiber crossconnects are cheaper than that at the various
AMS-IX housing sites but people still choose to connect to the exchange
switch.  Bushes of private interconnects tend to quickly become
unmanageable (and no, not just those of "throw wire over wall" discussed
here some months ago - that's not allowed at any AMS-IX housing site).

> I don't think there are too many exchanges anymore that have 80+ active
> peers. If you do participate in such an exchange, have 80 peers on it,
> and don't exceed a single port's speed, shame on you. :)

AMS-IX has almost 200 connected parties.  Luckily hardly anybody is
trying to suck more traffic through their port than it can physically
handle.

Not everybody has a gigabit per second worth of traffic.  Some even make
do with a 10baseT connection (full duplex of course :).  Apparently
still a worthwhile proposition in a world of falling transit prices.

	-- Niels.

--
Today's subliminal thought is: