BGP-based blackholing/hijacking patented in Australia?

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Wed Aug 18 08:32:38 UTC 2004

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004, Bevan Slattery wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just to ease peoples concerns, the patent has nothing to do with
> blackholing.  A brief description of the way it works can be found here:
>
> http://www.scamslam.com/ScamSlam/whatis.shtml
>
> We have not disclosed the site address to the "public" at this stage, the
> text of the site is only draft form for the purposes of editing and needs
> to be "polished".  Perhaps the article wasn't as articulate in conveying
> this, but I'm sure you appreciate journalists sometimes don't get it right
> :)

Bevan,

Would you be willing to export this database as a list of URLs
rather than a list of IPs?

I, for one, would like to run this on centralised proxy servers
and build ACLs for devices such as proxy servers and firewalls.
I don't want to speak BGP.  A text file - whether its one line
per host, or some well-formatted and documented XML database -
would allow people to decide the best way to implement it with
their network.

It would be nice if it were hostname vs IP - it both stops
the possibility of entire ISPs being wiped out by IP
blocks and it also allows us to track the DNS changes
as the phishing people start running things in a similar
way to the spammers do.

It would also be nice if you were able to include some
metadata on what the scam is. It would allow people to
choose exactly which to include in our local filters.

Thankyou.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			I'm only a fanboy if