Current street prices for US Internet Transit

Eric Kuhnke eric at fnordsystems.com
Wed Aug 18 02:16:52 UTC 2004

> Are you saying that if something costs more in Singapore or Australia
> than the US, then the companies selling that product here in the US for
> less must be selling below cost?
>
> Things are not the same everywhere.  Politics, infrastructure, labor,
> taxes, and a myriad of other factors make it not very useful to say "US
> is $30, AU is $300" and expect to draw any meaningful conclusion by the
> comparison - except, of course, that AU transit is more expensive than
> US transit.

You can peg a 100Mb/s FTTH line (which costs about $65
USD/month on a 1 year contract) from Chunghwa Telecom in
Taipei 24/7, as long as the majority of your traffic stays
on the island of Taiwan...  If you start doing tons of P2P
to Japan, Korea or the Chinese mainland their AUP department
will crack down rather quickly.  Geographical considerations
like the cost of subsea cables certainly affect this a lot.

I know of a Fijiian ISP paying $40,000/month for a DS3 on
Southern Cross.

============snip=================

http://www.taiwanheadlines.gov.tw/20040630/20040630b4.html

"We will be offering services of 10 megabits, 20 megabits
and 100 megabits by mid-July. The cost of the service will
be lower than both Japan's 100-megabit service and Korea's
13-megabit service," Chunghwa Telecom Chairman Hochen Tan
said in a statement.

According to information the company provided, network
access for a 100 megabit FTTH service is available for the
equivalent of NT$2,370 (US$70) per month in Japan. In South
Korea, a 13 megabit service currently costs the equivalent
of NT$1,796 per month.

"Our network-access fees will be around NT$1,796 for the
10-megabit service, NT$2,000 for the 20-megabit service, and
just over NT$2,300 for 100-megabit service," Hochen told CNA
on Tuesday.

-Eric