New list: ddos-fighter

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Aug 17 22:22:53 UTC 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 00:14:48 +0200, Nicolas FISCHBACH said:

> and which product(s) [detection and mitigation] you use AND
> are willing to discuss/share experience on (no lurkers, no
> marketing, no sales, etc) to:

> We may ask you to "prove" that you actually own and operate
> such devices.

Hmm... so it's impossible for a site looking at various vendors to lurk and get
a feel for which one is a 'best fit' for their needs without first buying one.
Also, it's not obvious whether things like "How to get that Packeteer you
bought to control file sharers to do other useful stuff too..." are in-bounds.
Similarly for any *other* traffic shaping technology that doesn't happen to be
one of the named vendors.

So given that people will *already* presumably have bought one of the
"approved" devices, and said devices already probably have their own
foobox-users group list someplace, what will said list really accomplish
besides "My foobox is bigger than your foobox" discussions?