Phishing (Was Re: WashingtonPost computer security stories)

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Tue Aug 17 13:13:26 UTC 2004

> I wonder if the banks have ever considered how they have
> contributed to the problem. If their pages were straight
> up, no pop-up's, no JavaVirus, etc.... it would be far easier
> to tell their customers:

>    Here is what our page looks like:

> But of course, that would not be glitzy enough....

My bank does pretty much what you suggest. Have a look  here
https://ibank.barclays.co.uk/fp/1_2c/online/1,26806,logon,00.html
and if that link has timed out or something, just go here
https://ibank.barclays.co.uk/
and click the Log-in button.

Barclays also uses a "memorable word" in addition to
the PIN code. They repeatedly tell us that no-one
from Barclays will ever ask us to reveal this
memorable word. It's only use is for a simple
challenge-response where the website asks for
two specific letters from the word and we select
them from drop-down boxes to defeat keyloggers.
Nice example of layered security that keeps the
criminals snapping at the heels of the guy next
door, i.e. CitiBank et al.

--Michael Dillon