Verisign vs. ICANN

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Mon Aug 16 21:46:49 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 03:17:48PM -0400, Patrick W Gilmore wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2004, at 3:08 PM, Andre Oppermann wrote:
>
> >PS: I will patent it myself to prevent Versign from doing this.
>
> And if they do, what's to stop the root operators from doing this.
>
> Remember, there are 13 IPs no one can get around - no other "TLD" to
> register your domain name.
>
> Flipped on its head, what's to stop the root operators from
> circumventing anything Verisign or any other TLD operator does?

	we'd have to agree on what to do...
	and thats been problematic for years.
	or one could view it as the core strength
	of the root server system (theres a misnomer:)

	of course, if a majority of the root server instances
	decided to make the change, then we have inconsistancy
	in the authoritatve data - which is -REALLY- bad.