Current street prices for US Internet Transit

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Aug 16 20:45:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, William B. Norton wrote:

> So, used equipment is one way that some are deploying low cost networks,
> and yes, the packets get there. If their negotiating is as strong as their
> scrounging, they may be able to compete in today's market.

Used engine 2 OC48 cards for the Cisco 12000 is up from $3500 in 2001 to
approx $15-20k now. Yes, there are hardware vendors out there that are not
favored by a lot of people which you can have very cheaply, but the mostly
coveted Cisco parts are quite expensive on that market nowadays.

OC3 and FE is not very interesting to most people, reflected in the price
of a 16port OC3 (engine 2) card for the GSR, listprice $165k can be had at
approx $3k used. I know hardware resellers that have had such in stock for
over a year without being able to sell them.

If you're a small time ISP just starting up and you have plenty of space,
cooling and electricity, the backbone routers of 5-7 years ago can be had
quite cheaply, yes.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se